Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What, Am I Out Of My Mind?

As if storytelling outdoors and beginning a new blog isn't challenge enough,  I've decided to further borrow trouble by kicking off something I call "Gorilla Telling."  I know, you can't tell a gorilla anything.

I am pretty sure there must be at least one other crazy person out there doing something very similar, if so please feel free to share your experiences, advice and the name of your therapist. Actually, it might just be a another form of busking.

Briefly, "Gorilla Telling" is where I come to a venue armed with a bunch short stories, big "what-if's", and "imagine that." The tools of  improvisation and storytelling. And descend on unsuspecting patrons waiting in line at one of our local venues.  This particular establishment, Little Man ice cream,  is open to just about anything, and provides a different kind of entertainment every night during the summer.  I am their first storyteller.  The Friday night flavor of the week, if you will. They found me thanks to my listing in NSN.  Yea NSN!
We are hoping for a win-win.  They are giving me two hours every Friday night, pretty much carte blanche.  So, in exchange for "working the line" and performing two 30 min. shows. I get a chance to keep up my chops as I upgrade my material.  I am forced to come up with new and very short material. By the by, if you have a good resources for short-short stories you'd like to share, I could use them. I get to sell my book-- MIDNIGHT and the MAGICAL PRAIRIE SCHOONER-- meet new people and new challenges (never had to compete with a slide and  ice cream -hyped four-year olds.)  They in turn get bragging rights for being the only establishment in this up and coming area with "GORILA STORYTELLING."
With just a few moments to hook them, I single out a person or persons and give then a  short story and or a little improv, whatever it takes to get them to stick around after they get their cone  and listen to my longer Tall Tales, Personal Stories, Irish folk tales etc.  I need a lot of stories as I never know what age range will make-up the majority of the audience.  Last week the adults outnumbered the kids. We are not in set venue mode anymore, Toto.  The rushing waters can be scary but, so far, I am enjoying riding the rapids!
So, if you are in Denver on a Friday night this summer, come on by Little Man ice cream, for a scoop and a story. 'Til then ... see you on down the road ... may it rise up to meet you, and until next time ... go out and kiss somebody.
Peace and Grace, Den

No comments:

Post a Comment